Do you enjoy long walks through the jungle? Do you enjoy romantic evenings sheltering from the rain underneath a canopy of leaves? Do you like to kick back and relax while the bugs get picked from your fur?
Oh wait – this isn’t the blog about dating profile descriptions…🙊
Instead, I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about Google My Business descriptions, what you should be including in your business description, and exactly what your business description does for your biz.
What is a Business Profile Description?
A business description is a key element to your digital marketing strategy. Without getting too deep into the weeds, this description should work to tell potential customers wha your business offers, what makes it unique, and why they should do business with you instead of with your competitor.
According to Google, your business description “should highlight what makes your business unique. You can use this field to provide useful information on services and products offered, as well as the mission and history of your business.”
More importantly, Google notes that:
“You should be upfront and honest about the information provided, focusing on content that is relevant and useful to your customers to understand your business. Content that’s irrelevant to your business or has no clear association with it isn’t allowed. Refer to our overall guidelines for representing your business on Google.”
Seems like a lot to include in one short description, right? Well, that’s why you’ll need to go in with a strategy if you want to make the most out of your Google My Business description.
What to Include in a Good Google My Business Description
If you want to create a compelling business description that sets the stage for a beautiful customer journey, here’s what you’ll want to include:
- Your Business’s Backstory
- Make sure to tell your potential customers a little bit about your business’s backstory. Were you the first restaurant in the city to provide Gorilla-themed patisserie? Let the people know!
- Information About the Services You Provide
- One of the most important parts of your business description should be a few sentences about the services you provide. Let them know that you provide farm-to-table service, a personal shopper, and anything else that makes your business’s offerings unique.
- The Communities You Serve
- As you’re writing, be sure to interweave details about the community you serve. Is your business the most well-known LGBTQ cafe in town? Was your business voted #1 Margarita Bar in your city for three years in a row? Don’t forget to include this info as a part of your compelling description.
- Call to Action
- As with everything else you do online (and on Google My Business), make sure to include a call to action! Invite the reader to stop by and let them know that your doors are always open for business.
- Part of what makes your business unique is you! So don’t be afraid to show some personality. If your business is known for being quirky, don’t create a stiff business description that would put even the most caffeinated gorilla to sleep. Make sure you’re keeping things in line with your brand voice so that your Google My Business profile completely matches the rest of your business’s online presence.
Creating A Great Business Description for GMB
The content and tone of your business description depends entirely on your industry and brand. Many businesses choose to make their description catchy and positioned to highlight the benefits of working with them over the competition.
As the King of the Jungle, it’s my job to help you succeed on GMB. So, take a look at the following template that you can adjust to create a great business description!
(BUSINESS NAME) is the go-to for (HIGHLIGHTS, SERVICES) in (CITY). Since (LAUNCH YEAR), (BUSINESS NAME) has set the standard for (SERVICE TYPE) through (DETAILS OF SERVICE AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT). Our goal is to (GIVE/HELP/PROVIDE) our (CLIENTS/CUSTOMERS) with the best (SERVICE) so that they can (BENEFIT). (CLIENTS/CUSTOMERS) in (CITY) have trusted (BUSINESS NAME) to (SHOW, HELP, GIVE) them the best (SERVICE) out there. Come in or call us today to see why so many people are working with (BUSINESS NAME).
So, here’s what this type of business description would look like for GMB Gorilla:
GMB Gorilla is the go-to for high-quality, expert Google My Business management services throughout the US. Since 2012, we’ve set the standard for Google My Business best practices by working closely with business owners from all industries to manage their profiles, connect with their clients, and stay ahead of the competition. Our goal is to support organizations so that they can be as successful as possible in the online world – especially on Google, the world’s largest search engine. Businesses both small and large across the United States have trusted GMB Gorilla to give them a leading edge through highly optimized GMB profiles and Posts. Let the experts at GMB Gorilla lead you through this dense, digital jungle to the top of the food chain. Contact us to get started and see what makes GMB Gorilla the King of the Jungle.
Tip from the Gorilla: When you’re creating your GMB business description, make sure to keep things unique! Even though I’ve given you a great template to start with, pay close attention to how my sample GMB Gorilla business description switches things up to fit the business, our clients, and what we offer!
What Not to Include in Your Google My Business Profile
Google gives businesses a lot of freedom when it comes to their Google My Business profiles and descriptions. But that doesn’t mean that you have free reign to write whatever you please.
According to Google, here’s what you can’t include in your business description:
Content published in this field should not:
- Be misleading to users. Do not provide inaccurate or false information about your business or the services and products offered.
- Display low-quality, irrelevant, or distracting content. For example, misspellings, gimmicky character use, gibberish, etc.
- Focus on special promotions, prices, and offer sale. Examples of content not allowed include, “Everything on sale, -50%” and “Best bagels in town for $5!”
- Display links. No links of any type are allowed.
- Display offensive or inappropriate content:
- Harassing, bullying, or hateful content. Published content must not promote hatred or incite violence against individuals or groups based on ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Content containing obscene, profane, or offensive language.
- Terrorist content. We do not permit terrorist organizations to use this service for any purpose, including recruitment. We also strictly prohibit content related to terrorism, such as content that promotes terrorist acts, incites violence, or celebrates terrorist attacks. If posting content related to terrorism for an educational, documentary, scientific, or artistic purpose, be mindful to provide enough information so viewers understand the context.
- Sexually suggestive or explicit content. Content must not include profanity, sexually graphic and offensive slang terms, terms that are common signals for pedophilia, content that promotes pedophilia, bestiality, or sexual violence, or content that promotes escort services or other services that may be interpreted as providing sexual acts in exchange for compensation.
- Display unpermitted content:
- Do not upload content related to the sale of dangerous and illegal products or services.
- Do not upload content that exploits or abuses children.
What Your Google My Business Description Does For Your Business
Despite being a short introduction to your business, your GMB Business Description gets a lot done. This small bit of content will be the basis of your business’s first impression for thousands of users every month.
When searching on Google, most users will encounter your business’s Google My Business profile before they ever land on your website. And, while your website is likely perfectly branded and set up to convert potential customers, your GMB profile should work the same way.
Your business description should give potential customers everything they need to know about your business so that they can confidently decide to do business with you over a competitor.
Let the King of the Jungle Do the Hard Work For You
When it comes to creating the perfect Google My Business description, let the Gorilla step in to guide you to the top of the food chain. Learn more about our easy onboarding process and simple management package.